Pages

Thursday, 14 August 2014

'Cardiff on a Fiver'- a new project, searching for great food and value.

Here's the deal-io, cool cats.

Everyone loves a bargain, or at very least feeling that they are getting value for money.

So my mission is this: to answer the question, 'Where can I find great food, at a reasonable price, in Cardiff, and to share that. (News of my findings, that is- certainly not my food. Don't be ridiculous).

It's that simple.

The rules are similarly plain.

The absolute maximum I can spend is £5 per head.

Deals and promotions are included; for example, a 'special' which says, 'Buy one £7.99 meal and get another free' would be eligible for the obvious reason, as would be '2 meals for £10' and so on.

As far as possible, I'll be looking for proper 'sit down' options.


The Quest is limited to the local area alone.

That's about it.

When I asked on that there Twitter for examples of great local value, using the hashtag #cardiffonafiver, the response was encouraging; clearly, there are plenty of examples of good food at a good price in the local area. Answers came from businesses, from chefs, from the great and the good of my timeline as listed below.

Some went further and nominated specific dishes- if so, they have been noted carefully and filed for future investigation. (It may be that prices have changed since the nominator visited, of course, but there is no bending of the rules. Unless I change my mind, or something).

In no particular order, then:

WiWo (nominated by @tidyfood)
The Parsnipship (@Charlotte_B)
10 Feet Tall (nominated by @ZellCopy)
The North Star (@ZellCopy)
Katiwok (@DMcG_, @soul_of_twit)
KL Canolog (@KLCanolog)
Cegin (@Kuldeep5ingh)
Albany Fish Bar (@soul_of_twit)
Wally's Kaffeehaus (@cardiffbites)
Celtic Corner (@DuncPowell25)
Falafel Wales (@cardiffbites)
Trade St Cafe (@cardiffbites)
Oriental Garden (@itsoncardiff)
Noodlebox - prices start at £6
Riverside Farmers' Market- various(@Elaineeepoos)
Frankie's Italian (@NotLeafy)
Fresh(@eatTheDiff)
New York Deli (@petit_morsel)
Coffee A GoGo (@petit_morsel)
Bentley's Café (@BillyElNino)
Aladdin (@gouldina)
Mission Burrito (my brother)
The Rolling Hot Dog Company (@SolicitingFlavo)
Bomber's (@SolicitingFlavo)
Servini's (@SolicitingFlavo)
Garlands (@petit_morsel)

You'll be impressed to know this most noble and high-minded of quests has already begun. (I know, the lengths I go to...)

To add to the list, Tweet me @cleanplateblog, email at theplatelickedclean@gmail.com, or post a comment below.

Right, I'm off.

There is work to be done...





No comments:

Post a Comment